Welcome to my review of the brand new Sony WH-1000XM3. In my review I am going to compare these to the older Sony WH-1000XM2 and Bose QC35ii. The Sony WH-1000XM3 retail for £329.
I will also document the differences between these new Sony headphones and the older version.
– Industry leading noise cancellation so the music sounds even better
– Amazing battery life of 30 hours and super quick charging so you’re never without your headphones
– Improved design to make the 1000XM3’s even more comfortable and lightweight
– High resolution audio packed with technology and features to give truly authentic sound
– Even smarter technology to keep your hands free and give you total control with Google Assistant
– 30 hours battery life. 10 mins quick charge provides 5 hours battery life.
– New Sony QN1 processor
– 40mm driver unit, dome type (CCAW Voice coil)
– DSEE HX music upscaler software
– 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack
– Frequency Response wired – 4Hz-40,000Hz
– Frequency Response via bluetooth 20Hz – 20,000Hz (44.1kHz Sampling) / 20Hz – 40,000Hz (LDAC 96kHz Sampling, 990kbps)
– Frequency Response via active operation 4Hz-40,000Hz, passive operation included.
– 3.5mm Headphone cable is 1.2m, OFC strands, gold-plated stereo mini plug
Sony is back with an update to the Sony WH-1000XM2. On paper the updates don’t seem extensive, but in reality the new WH-1000XM3 blows it away.
Firstly, Sony has improved the earcups and headband. The earcups are larger and more comfortable. The headband has more padding over the head, although it does make the headphones look cheaper. However, removing the steel from the previous model reduces the weight by 40g. This makes a difference and improves the overall comfort.
But headphones are about sound quality and in the case of these Sony headphones, also the noise cancellation. This year Sony introduces a processor into the headphones. And Sony does not disapoint with these headphones.
This year Sony has introducsed a processor into the headphones, called the Sony QN1. The Sony QN1 processor boosts the range of frequencies from which noise-cancellation occurs. This allows control over the sounds you can block while listening to your music.
The QN1 processor has a 32-bit audio signal processing. Add this to the headphones 40mm driver with its Liquid Crystal Polymer diaphragm. This allows for handling heavy beats and at the same time can reproduce a full range of frequencies up to 40 kHz. Even if you don’t have high-resolution music, DSEE HX intelligently upscale compressed music files giving your music a clear, rich sound. Sony’s LDAC codec transmits approximately three times more data than conventional Bluetooth, which enable the high-resolution audio content. The 1000XM3 on-ear headphones are packed with technology to get the most out of your music.
The WH-1000XM3 also comes with a high res audio cable to provide an incredible a wired listening experience.
Other options on these headphones include smart settings by adaptive sound control to optimise listening settings automatically based on your listening behaviour and environment. This also allows customisable controls based on your own preferences. The equaliser option is available using the Sony headphone connect app (works with Android and iOS). The app also provides firmware updates.
Touch controls. The Sony WH-1000XM3 include touch controls. By placing your hand on the headphone housing, you can quickly communicate with the outside world, without having to take your headphones off or adjust the volume too and a quick double-tap enables hands-free calling. And now, with the google assistant, you have an ideal control and get access to even more information by using your voice.
For me the QN1 processor makes a large improvement to the sound and noise cancellation to the point that it makes the older Sony WH-1000XM2 sound dull! That’s crazy.
What’s in the Box
– Sony WH1000XM3 Headphones
– Plug Adaptor for In-flight usw
– Headphone cable (approx. 1.5m, OFC strands, gold-plated stereo mini plug)
– USB Cable C
– Carrying Case
– Operating Instructions
The Sony WH-1000XM3 are truly an amazing headphone and a leap forward from their previous model. This is a must buy headphone!
Sony WH-1000XM3 vs Bose QC35II
Previous Headphone Reviews