Welcome to my review of the Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones. These are the brand new killer flagship headphones from Sony.
The Key Features
– Digital Noise Cancelling lets you listen without distractions
– Personal Noise Cancelling Optimizing and Atmospheric Pressure Optimizing
– Wireless freedom with BLUETOOTH® technology and NFC
– Smart Listening by Adaptive Sound Control automatically adjusts ambient sound to your activity
– High-quality audio with DSEE HX™, S-Master HX ™ and LDAC, APT-X, AAC, APT-X HD
– Driver Unit 40mm, dome type (CCAW Voice Coil)
– Frequency response wired 4Hz-40,000Hz
– Frequency response (BLUETOOTH® COMMUNICATION) 20Hz – 20,000Hz (44.1kHz Sampling) / 20Hz – 40,000Hz (LDAC 96kHz Sampling, 990kbps)
– Impedance – 46 ohm (1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on) , 14 ohm (1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)
– Sensitivities (DB/MW) 103dB / mW (1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned on) , 98dB / mW (1kHz) (when connecting via the headphone cable with the unit turned off)
– Charge time – 4 hours
– Battery life – 30 hours NC on, 38 hours with NC off
– Line of sight range 10m
The Sony WH-1000XM2 are a technological masterpiece from Sony. With the Sony Headphone Connect app you can fine tune the sound quality options, adjust the noise cancellation and ambient sound, as well as adjust for atmospheric pressure. You will need to watch the video to see this all in action. Over bluetooth it has the ability to use AAC, SBC, APT-X, APT-X HD or LDAC as well as its own upscaling audio DSEE HX. The choice of codecs available will depend on what device you are using and what options your device can deliver. The headphone app also allows various surround sound options and placement of audio.
As an all rounder the sound quality of these headphones is excellent along with the noise cancellation. The noise cancellation was really powerful.
Colour. The gold version do not look gold. More grey and this is disappointing. Comfort wise these should be fantastic, but in my usage I found there is not enough cushioning in the headphone band and cups. See video for what I mean and a comparison with others brands.
Video Review and Comparison between the Beats Studio 3 with Apple W1 Chip and Bose Quietcomfort 35 II with Google Assistant
The best wireless and noise cancellation headphone available but with caution on the comfort due to inadequate padding.
More info and the latest pricing on Amazon UK – Click HERE.