Huawei have announced the Huawei Mate 8, a 6 inch screen slab of phone with the following specs –
– 6-inch 1080p display spec covering 95 percent of NTSC gamut.
– 2.5D glass
– new octa-core Kirin 950 chipset, 16nm FinFET+ CPUs (4 x Cortex-A72 and 4 x Cortex-A53), ARM’s flagship Mali-T880 GPU and integrated LTE Cat 6 modem
– Fingerprint sensor on rear – new advanced sensor able to read 3rd level of detail
– 16mp rear camera plus dedicated image processor
– Colours – Champagne Gold, Moonlight Silver, Space Gray and Mocha Brown
– Android 6 with Emotion UI
– Pricing in China $500 for 3GB RAM /32GB of storage, $690 for 4GB RAM / 128GB of storage.
– 4,000mAh battery
The specs stack up on paper to potentially translate to a fine beast of a device. But we will see this over in the UK?
My main grip is its size. As a phablet, a 6 inch screen is pushing the boundaries of what is acceptably comfortable to hold in one hand, and with the need to use the fingerprint sensor on the rear, could translate to a very awkward in hand experience.
However, on paper and based on the outlined specs and press renders it sure looks like a fine piece of kit. Will 2016 be the year Huawei overtakes Samsung?
Source – Engadget