Yesterday Apple released a wealth of software updates for its devices.
Apple TV and iPhone and iPad
TV (US only)
– Use Up Next to see the movies and shows you’re currently watching and pick up where you left off
– Get recommendations for new movies and TV shows in Watch Now
– Discover new apps and the latest iTunes releases in the Store
– Access the Library for your iTunes purchases and rentals
– Beautifully redesigned emoji that reveal even more detail
– Over 100 new emoji including new faces, food, animals, sports, and professions
– Improves stabilisation and delivers faster frame rate for Live Photos
– Improves accuracy of groupings of similar photos of the same person in the People album
– Fixes an issue where Memories might generate a memory from photos of screenshots, whiteboards or receipts
– Fixes an issue where the camera would stay zoomed in after switching back from the Camera Roll on iPhone 7 Plus
– Additional support for RAW digital cameras
– Adds new love and celebration full screen effects in Messages
– Fixes an issue that sometimes prevented the keyboard from displaying in Messages
– Swipe up the Now Playing screen to more easily access Shuffle, Repeat and Up Next
– Choose how to sort Playlists, Albums, and Songs in Library
– Stories you’ve saved for later now appear the new Saved section
– The best paid stories from channels you subscribe to will now appear in a dedicated section in For You
– It’s now easier than ever to get to the next story, just swipe left or tap Next Story while reading
– Fixes an issue that caused the Move sheet to persist after filing a Mail message
– Addresses an issue with long press activating copy and paste in Mail
– Fixes an issue in which the wrong message would be selected after deleting a Mail conversation
-Adds BraillePen14 support to VoiceOver
– Fixes an issue where the braille table could switch unexpectedly with VoiceOver
– Fixes an issue where sometimes Siri enhanced voices were unavailable to VoiceOver
– Fixes an issue where VoiceOver users could not re-order items in lists
– Fixes an issue where Switch Control was sometimes unable to delete Voicemails
Other improvements and fixes
– Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories including window coverings, occupancy, motion, door/window, smoke, carbon monoxide, and water leak sensors
– Adds notification support for HomeKit accessories when software updates are available to HomeKit accessories
– Improves Bluetooth performance and connectivity with 3rd party accessories
– Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime participants to appear out of focus
– Fixes an issue that could cause FaceTime calls to appear with incorrect aspect ratio and orientation
– Fixes an issue that prevented some Visual Voicemail from completing playback
– Fixes a Safari Reader issue that could cause articles to open as empty pages
– Fixes an issue that could cause Safari to quit unexpectedly after marking an item as read in Reading List
If your iPhone is not receiving the new screen effects in iMessage, the fix is simple. Go to the iPhone settings app. Scroll down to messages. Turn off iMessage. Turn back on again.
The Apple Watch got updated to iOS 3.1.1. Updating the Apple Watch takes the longest to complete out of all of the devices, around 30-40 mins, so make sure you are not in a rush.
The update includes –
– Support for unicode 9 emoji, as well as being able to select skin tones for certain emojis
– Fixes an issue that could prevent contact names from appearing in the Messages app and notifications
– Fixes an issue that could impact ability to respond to notifications
– Resolves an issue where the Stocks complication may not update on the watch face
– Fixes an issue that may prevent the Activity rings from displaying on the Activity watch faces
– Fixes an issue that prevented the dials on an analog watch face from appearing after changing the temperature unit in the Weather app
– Resolves an issue that could cause the Maps app to stay launched after navigation has ended
– Resolves an issue where the incorrect date could be displayed in the Calendar app month view
3 thoughts on “Apple releases iOS 10.2, watchOS 3.1.1 and tvOS 10.1 – Details of the Key Changes & Improvements”
No mention of a fix for the sudden battery death with the 6S. My son’s has started doing this. Are they still saying it’s a faulty battery batch?
I think it’s software related too. If it happens you can get the phone back on without the charger. You have to hold the power and home button until the Apple logo reappears. You will get a screen showing red battery , ignore and keep holding the power and home button.
However my wife’s 6S did the same thing. Apple did replace device and its been fine since.
Thanks for the tip. I’ve passed it on to him.
LikeLiked by 1 person